Pediatric Dentistry Farmington Hills, MI
Pediatric dentistry is a branch of dentistry that specializes in providing dental care for children from infancy through adolescence. Pediatric dentists undergo specialized training to cater to the unique needs of children, including infants, toddlers, and teenagers. They focus on preventive care, early detection, and treatment of dental issues that may arise in children. The dental habits established in childhood form the foundation for oral health during adulthood. Teaching children how to best care for their teeth and gums from an early age will prepare them for a lifetime of healthy oral habits.
Visiting the Children’s Dentist Farmington Hills for First Time.
It is recommended that your child’s first visit to the children’s dentist be around his or her pediatric dentist Farmington Hills first birthday. This is typically about six months after the first tooth has erupted, and several other baby teeth should have emerged.
It is important that early trips to the dentist are exciting and pleasurable experiences for young children. Positive experiences will make it more likely that a child will be comfortable seeing their dentist for the rest of his or her life. Talk to your children about upcoming dental visits and answer any questions they may have.
It is important to choose the right dentist to care for your child’s teeth. It is true that all dentists are qualified to care for a child’s oral health. However, a pediatric dentist Farmington Hills is skilled in working with children and their needs in particular. Being accustomed to squirming and being able to make a child feel more comfortable during their visit are also benefits of using the children’s pediatric dentistry services of Farmington Hills Dentist.
What to Expect From Your Pediatric Dentist in Farmington Hills
By the time they turn three, most children have had all 20 of their “baby teeth” erupt. While they are born with these teeth, they won’t start to appear until several months after they are born. These teeth will eventually fall out (usually starting around six years of age) but are susceptible to decay and damage and should be cared for as diligently as permanent teeth.
Your kids dentist near me will inspect these baby teeth for cavities and decay, and ensure that the teeth and jaws are developing and erupting normally. A schedule will be worked out by Dentist Farmington Hills for future visits as your child grows.
Parents will be instructed on how to best help with proper home care. You will be warned of common habits that could cause early decay or other problems. Some of these activities include:
- Extensive use of a pacifier
- Thumb sucking
- Sending children to bed with a bottle of sugary drink
- Using fluoridated toothpaste before age two
Our Pediatric Dental Services for Your Family in Farmington Hills, MI
Pearl Dental P.C. is a specialized practice that offers pediatric care for children from infancy to late adolescence, as well as orthodontic treatment for patients of all ages in Farmington Hills, MI. We offer pediatric dental services, as well as full orthodontic treatment for kids and adults including:
- Cleanings and examinations
- Dental X-rays
- Preventive care measures, such as counseling on diets
- Fluoride treatments in the office
- Fluoride recommendations for home
- Suggestions for your child’s oral development
- Evaluation of tooth and jaw development
- Orthodontics (including Invisalign)
- Cosmetic dentistry
- Restorative dentistry, including crowns, fillings and root canals
- Appropriate use of nitrous oxide
- Safe, in-office oral sedation
Benefits of Pediatric Dentistry
- Early Detection of Dental Problems: Regular check-ups with a pediatric dentist can help detect dental problems at an early stage. This includes tooth decay, gum disease, and other dental issues that may not be apparent to parents. Early detection can help prevent the problem from worsening and potentially causing more significant dental issues in the future.
- Preventive Care: Prevention is the key to maintaining good dental health. Pediatric dentist near me can provide preventive care, including dental cleanings, fluoride treatments, and sealants, to help protect your child’s teeth and gums from decay and disease.
- Education: Pediatric dentists can educate both parents and children on proper dental care practices. This includes brushing and flossing techniques, diet, and lifestyle habits that can affect dental health.
- Building a Relationship with a Pediatric Dentist: Regular dental visits can help build a relationship between your child and their children’s dentist near me. This relationship can help alleviate any fear or anxiety your child may have about visiting the dentist and create a positive association with dental care.
- Addressing Special Needs: Pediatric dentists are trained to work with children with special needs, including those with developmental and behavioral issues. They can provide the necessary care and support to ensure that every child receives the dental care they need.
Caring for a Child’s Teeth between Office Visits
Visiting the Dentist Farmington Hills or pediatric dentist near me on a regular basis is not enough to protect a child’s oral health. At-home dental care is imperative, not only to keep away disease and decay but to instill lifelong good habits. Even before teeth erupt in a child’s mouth, the gums should be gently washed each day.
Brushing twice daily should start once the teeth break through the gums. You may use water instead of toothpaste for this in the early days. As your child ages, you can begin using children’s toothpaste as recommended by children’s emergency dentist Dr. Karanth. Pediatric dentists are not just concerned with long-term dental health and maintenance, but they also work hard to help children form good oral habits.
To preserve good oral health, schedule an appointment for your child’s normal preventative treatment, such as tooth cleanings and dental consultation, every six months at Pearl Dental.
Helping Kids Overcome Their Fear of the Dentist
Looking for the Best Dentist in Farmington Hills?
Your Farmington Hills Dentist, Dr. Karanth, of Pearl Dental provides the very best in general dentistry, pediatric dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, root canal treatment, braces, dental crowns and bridges, and more. We serve the communities of Farmington Hills, Livonia, Northville Township, Novi, Kenton, and other surrounding communities. To schedule your appointment, call (248) 476-4416 or click on the link below to fill out the form.
Request An Appointment
Go back to Services